Monday, June 16, 2008

One Hundred Words...

Literary agent Rachelle Gardner's blog had a writing contest in which writers could submit a 100 word story based on this photo. Writers were to leave their story in the comments area of the blog. Rachelle would choose the most outstanding story, the winning writer could choose from a variety of prizes.

After writing a few versions and gaining some feedback, I submitted my story, but wasn't chosen as the winner, however it was a good writing exercise. Here are the top six entries to be voted on (depending on when you view this blog)...

... and here is my story:
Escape

I sit in silence, reliving the clues I couldn't see then.

He took me for granted. He gave me nothing but broken promises and an empty future.

The strength within allowed me to do what I needed. I left him. I had no choice. Love had failed. I'll never look back.

I tried to pack only the good memories, but I couldn't – the lies and cheating took up too much room.

Now I realize I was trying to force a relationship that would never happen.

The weight of doubt is lifted. What remains is the baggage I carry forward.

No comments: