Saturday, June 24, 2006

Chasing the dream of...

A never-ending series of dreams and goals suppress my thoughts – I gain new ones while the old ones never get crossed off my list...

Based on a write-up I read from Kasey, I thought about doing my thoughts. Hers focus on being a wife and mother – since I’ll be neither – mine focuses on various other aspects of my life I wish were more - (for lack of a better term) 'perfect'...

I want to...
  • Dedicate more time to eating better and getting in shape.
  • Remember everyone’s (close to me) birthday/anniversary; acknowledge it with a phone call, card, and/or email – a homemade/priceless gift if possible (set of pictures or something creative)
  • Be a respected writer with a book deal and an agent/publisher and utilize the revenue earned so I don’t have to ‘worry’ about money all the time – and with the money, be able to help others – however it could be used best – investing in the parable of their talents.
  • Own my own stand-alone home (not a connecting town house) and open my doors to neighbors, friends, and family as a place of solace and refuge.
  • Have a flexible schedule where I could meet up with anyone at anytime for breakfast, lunch, dinner or a 3am chat.
  • Take the time I need and to visit places I've never been to - Jon in Alaska and Josh & Casey in Vegas and see NY.
  • Have a bigger menu in my head of things I can cook.
  • Have a place of my own to escape to, to do my writing and thinking – my own solace.
  • Be up-to-date on news, have an up-to-date wardrobe, be up-to-date with those I’m closest to.
  • Spent more time attending events that are offered in Omaha that I miss out on because of money or time.
  • Be able to do more maintenance things with my house and car.
  • Be able to create a website from scratch with all the bells & whistles that come to mind.
  • Own my own business – something of my own.
  • Take time off to go back to school to pursue web programming, photography, writing, and/or business management.
  • Be the best possible Godfather to Lenka and Breckin.
  • Volunteer at the church, utilizing the talents that God gave me to help visitors and non-believers see the church as a non-threatening/non-intrusive and a very open place to worship God.
  • Be quoted as saying something insightful.

    If you know me, you know the list above is something I often talk about, even as more things get added. You also know that I’m close to meeting some aspect of all those goals. I have a long way to go. I heard that writing down your own goals in a similar fashion and putting them in a place where you can see ‘em each day is a step in the right direction.

    The list may be long and overwhelming – but I believe it is the difference between an ordinary life and an authentic life.

    Some related quotes:
    “Are you who you want to be?”
    “What is your passion?”
    “Do you let your job get in the way of your career...”
    "Every minute is a chance to change your life"
    "Sometimes the things you want don't always come in the order that you want them to"
    "If you let your life go by not having said anything, you let the world define you as an ordinary person"
    Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing." ~ William Feather
    "You cannot change the length of your life, but you can change the depth and the width"
    "What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" ~ Dr. Robert Schuller
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted." ~ David Bly
  • No comments: