Monday, June 16, 2008

Obviously it isn't working...

From the 'home office' of Chad Bring...

It has become obvious that my current "home office" set up isn't working for me. I'm producing more to-do lists, more things to read, and finding other things to occupy my time. My "home office" is also my bedroom, which for now is okay. Ideally I'd love to have a finished basement and make half of it into a home office that somewhat looks like home office setup. That picture prompted this blog if you are wondering and I know you were.

Lately, I've been in a very de-clutter, reorganize, throw-a-way, downsize type of mood. An author/writer is a person who actually (believe it or not) writes - so, since I'm not writing... then I guess I am just a guy moving around and throwing away stuff aimlessly.

I seem to pick up more books about writing from library sales and the Half Price Bookstore. I've also been collecting some books on organization. Yet, not surprisingly, my reading chair simply gathers piles of clothes. If I was independently weathly, would I have to devote to reading & writing? I'd sure like to think I would. In the meantime, amen for books on CD from the library! I'm not spending money and I'm "sorta" reading.

All this to say, "I'm preparing to prepare". Organizing, cleaning, de-cluttering, moving around stuff - all because someday I'm going to put everything I'm doing now to good use. Someday.

My desk is too small. My laptop cart is equally small. My coffee table is uncomfortable (insert other excuses here). I seem to get the most writing down at Panera Bread or Scooters Coffee House, so I ask myself, "Self, what is working there?" The answer is more organized space to put things and leave them at arms length while sipping coffee or something cold. Occassionally, it is nice to have someone come up to me and ask if I need anything else. I don't have extra $ for an assistant (yet), let alone - have any notion what they would do. Picture Queen Latifah in "Stranger than Fiction". (Assistants willing to work for free, please apply.)

With all my website projects, having a dedicated organized de-cluttered space (with an assistant) would be nice. Maybe, maybe, maybe then - I'd be able to do all I set out to do.

Question: Who has an awesome home office and why?

No comments: