Saturday, January 22, 2005

Four years ago today...

Today will be a day that will be forever edged in my memory.

January 22nd, 2001 - a good friend of mine, Shawn Spencer was hit leaving work when a semi-truck driver that ran a red light. Shawn was badly hurt and died that same day at the hospital. Another co-worker behind Shawn was injured.

The intersection at 70th & Cornhusker in Lincoln where this happened was also the corner where my dad worked at Nebraska Boiler. That afternoon, my dad heard sirens. He didn't know of the accident, come to think of it - I don't think he knew Shawn. Another good friend of mine, Jonathan, witnessed the accident.

At 23, Shawn's life was taken leaving his fiancé Becky and his best friend Mike, his family, and the rest of his family to wonder why. The answer to 'why' will only truly be understood once I get to heaven. Until then, I will never forget Shawn, that intersection, or to wear my seatbelt.

As a tribute to Shawn, Mike & I have in mind to write a memoir about Shawn's life called "Red Light" about his life events leading up to that fateful Monday afternoon - four years ago.

No comments: