Wednesday, December 03, 2008

happily single...

While reading a white paper for work, I came across an advertisement that talks about customer database. One a guy's shirt in the ad was a set of name tags including: his name, another said my first home, happily single, and some others that all related to a company holding various demographic information about
a customer.

Seeing happily single struck me as a phrase that usually doesn't come to mind as I think about my life as a single man.

It seems that every other day I'm happily single, the off-days, I'm just single.

I'll admit, I like the ability to go anywhere and pretty much do anything on the spur of the moment. Decisions I make affect me and I don't have to ask permission to do something I want to do.

However, watching movies (home/theater) alone isn't entirely fun, nor is eating most all my meals alone.
But after years of doing the above, I actually got used to it. Should someone ever get used to going through life mostly alone?
No one was around to 'take care of me' as I'm currently a bit under the weather. Again, I've gotten used to doing everything on my own.

I'm strongly independent which will affect future relationships and I'm aware of this.

Whether or not I'm in your friend/family database as son, brother, friend, colleague, acquaintance - know that I try not to define myself by my singleness (whether I'm happily single or not)...

2 comments:

Renzer said...

ahh what really is the perfect tagline, happily single, but happiply accept female company?
single white male, sounds generic
desperate single male, is like red flag! red flag!
Fun single male, sounds... hmmmm does he have tooo much fun? and will forever stay single>
Fearless Single Male, does he like a bunch of dares, and going to throw me out of a plane on a first date?
Goodlooking single male? well... he's sure of himself?
my land, i could go on and on... sad what great lengths we must go to to 'advertise' ourselves. hmm
i think i want to watch the movie, "must love dogs"

Anonymous said...

"Decisions I make affect me and I don't have to ask permission to do something I want to do."

Asking permission is something you ask of your parents when you are a kid. When you ask a spouse/girlfriend or boyfirnd, you are asking them because what you do affects them. Especially if you have kids. Understanding the difference is VERY important.