Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Unconnected... yet connected...

I am unconnected to Virginia Tech. I don't know any students nor teachers.

I am connected as someone who has gone to college. An American. A brother, friend, and son. My sister says at least one of the students who was killed was a member of Campus Crusade for Christ.

My thoughts and prayers go out to family and friends of the 32 students that had their lives taken.
I think about all the people affected. Each of those 32 students (I am not counting the gunman - Cho Seung-Hui) were known by closely by at least 50 people, if not 100.

  • I think about a sports team missing a good player.
  • A band missing a member.
  • An empty dorm room now with only one roommate.
  • Classrooms with empty seats.
  • Emptiness.
  • Too many questions.
  • Too many unanswered questions.
  • The next few months to years ahead.
  • Laughter turned to silence.
  • Parents and other family and friends who desperately waited by the phone and computer to hear from someone… anyone… to hear if their son, daughter, or friend were alive.
  • Relationships: those now missing a best friend, fiancĂ©, wife/husband, father/mother, son/daughter, sister or brother...

    "Go where you can get the best hugs," school official urges.
  • 1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    Your bulleted points are good...so true. And what a quote.